Sustainability: Our Major Focus
Media Learning Systems is committed to promoting sustainability; in fact so much so that our key management team lives by example. We recognize that all individuals have an important role to play in reducing negative environmental impacts and specifically tackling climate change. Our concern for the environment and the promotion of a broader sustainability agenda are integral to Media Learning Systems activities and the management of the company.
To this end, we have hired a Production Manager who has a Master of Science in Environmental Science and Policy from MacMaster University, and who drives the sustainability push within our organization. We aim to follow and to promote good sustainability practice, to reduce the environmental impacts of all our activities, and to help our clients and partners to do the same.
In 2022, we developed the Media Learning Systems Sustainability Policy which is composed of a set of principles, operating procedures and business targets. Below is a summary of these major tenets.
Our Sustainability Policy is based upon the following key principles:
- To comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice in Canada.
- To integrate sustainability considerations into all our business decisions.
- To ensure that all employees and contractors working with us are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
- To minimize the impact on sustainability of all office and transportation activities.
- To make clients and suppliers aware of our Sustainability Policy, and encourage them to adopt sound sustainable management practices.
- To review, annually report, and to continually strive to improve our sustainability performance to our key stakeholders.
In order to put these principles into action and to reduce our negative environmental impacts as a consulting firm and as individuals, Media Learning Systems implements the following procedures:
Minimizing Carbon Emissions From Unnecessary Travel
- The CEO, Vice President of Operations and Production Manager lead by example, and have not traveled out of the country for the last 3 years. All three top level executives are also Vegan for ethical and environmental reasons, as going plant based is one of the best ways everyone can do their part to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve animal welfare on our planet.
- Where possible, employees and contractors should use public transport, walk or cycle to attend meetings, apart from in exceptional circumstances where this is impractical and/or cost prohibitive.
- Wherever possible, employees use clean-tech vehicles rather than traditionally powered cars and aircraft. An EV charging port has been installed in the parking garage of the Toronto office for visitors, and an EV port at the home of the President and CEO.
- All employee air travel requires CEO sign-off and is subject to review to determine if alternative travel arrangements have been explored.
- Wherever possible, employee travel within Canada or within a 500km radius, will be undertaken by EV or train.
- Media Learning Systems shall provide employees with technology options that provide an alternative that can avoid the need to physically travel to meetings, including teleconferencing, web cams, and the efficient timing of meetings to avoid multiple trips.
- Media Learning Systems will reduce the need for our employees and contractors to travel by supporting alternative working arrangements, including home working.
- Media Learning Systems will promote the use of public transport by locating our offices in accessible locations. Our Bloor Street office is adjacent to two subway lines, bike lanes and has a walking score of 97/100.
Minimize Water Consumption, Waste & Maximize Recycling
- Media Learning Systems believes that the consumption of bottled water in an office or hospitality context is unnecessary. We use ZERO filtered tap water in our office environments and request that venues to do the same for all Media Learning Systems events and meetings.
- Minimize our use of paper and other office consumables, for example by double-siding all paper used and 98% of our business is now paperless.
- As far as possible arrange for the reuse or recycling of all waste, including paper, computer supplies and redundant equipment. Batteries are collected and disposed of in battery deposit bins for proper recycling. Technology equipment is picked up by charitable organizations to be reused by those in need.
- Reduce the energy consumption of office equipment by purchasing energy efficient equipment and employing good housekeeping (switching off equipment that is not in use to avoid vampire power use at night).
- Media Learning Systems undertakes regular annual employee awareness sessions to ensure every employee adheres to our sustainability policy.
- Wherever possible we source products and services from suppliers with a sustainability policy. This primarily covers printing supplies, stationery, computing equipment and business travel.
- Media Learning Systems requests that every employee takes account of sustainability issues in their advice to clients.
- Media Learning Systems will include a copy of our Sustainability Policy in all our proposals to clients and on our website for the general public.
Reporting our Progress
- Media Learning Systems will use our own sustainability and emissions management solution to monitor our impact in real-time and identify potential sustainability opportunities.
- Media Learning Systems will report annually our environmental impact and progress against sustainability goals.